Anxiety-related disorders affect a huge segment of our population, up to 40 million individuals. In response, Big Pharma has developed numerous drugs to treat anxiety-related disorders, from selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac and Zoloft to tranquilizers (the most popular class being benzodiazepines, or “benzos,”) such as Valium and Xanax.
Some of these drugs, however, have been shown to be accompanied by a litany dangerous side effects and a severe risk of addiction.
As a natural alternative, CBD may be able to be used to treat and alleviate the symptoms of many anxiety disorders. It’s important to note that most research describing how CBD works is preclinical and based on animal studies, but these studies along with plenty of anecdotal evidence are extremely encouraging. It is believed that CBD may boost signaling through serotonin receptors, as well as regenerate hippocampal neurons.
CBD hemp oil can be taken in a number of ways to help relieve anxiety:
- Capsules are the most convenient way of taking CBD daily, and are taken orally as any other supplement would be.
- Tinctures are ideal for measuring and adjusting specific dosage, and are taken orally and held under the tongue.
- Vaping is the quickest way to get relief using CBD hemp oil, because inhaling it allows it to be absorbed into the bloodstream almost instantaneously.
- Edibles are foods that have been specifically designed to contain hemp oil, and are eaten to deliver your dose.
Whatever application method you choose, here are a few tips:
- Start with a low CBD dosage - Always start with the lowest possible dosage. This gives your body time to adapt to the cannabinoid.
- Increase dosage slowly - If no effects are initially noticeable, increase your dosage every few days. It takes time for the CBD to build up and affect the endocannabinoid system. CBD’s effects can be mild for some individuals..
- Separate your daily dosage into several smaller doses per day - Although it is safe to take CBD in high doses under most circumstances, it may increase absorption rate and efficacy if you take smaller amounts throughout the day.
- Speak with your doctor - If you suspect you are suffering from an anxiety disorder, the first thing you should do is go see a doctor and see if CBD could be right for you. Not all anxiety disorders are the same, nor are all treatments. If you are already taking medication for your anxiety disorder, be sure to talk to your doctor as well, as withdrawal from some anti-anxiety drugs can lead to acute anxiety as well as irritability, dizziness, nausea, and fogginess.